What comes after microservice?
(Jin Qing's Column, Oct. 25, 2021)
Reading "The Evolution of Distributed Systems on Kubernetes" from Bilgin Ibryam.
What are the purpose of projects like Dapr, Istio, Knative? How can they change the world?
Modern distributed systems
The needs of distributed systems:
- Lifecycle: deploy, rollback, upgrade, scale, stop, isolate, config
- Network: connect, circuit break, retry, timeout, load balance, discover, security, trace
- Resource binding: to API, protocol, message, data format
- State: stateless, stateful, store
enterprise service bus (ESB): not distributed
Networking, resource binding, state
- Lifecycle: Kubernetes + operator
- Networking: Envoy
- Binding: Apache Camel
- State: Cloudstate
Write business logic as another runtime. Here runtime is a process?
What comes after microservice
Faas is not the best. Multi-runtime microservice maybe is.